Serves: 12 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 1 hour
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 large yellow onion
1 Large Green Bell Pepper
1 Large Red Bell Pepper
6 cloves Garlic (3 heaping tbsp.’s)
2 McCormick Spaghetti Packets
2 8oz cans tomato paste
2 8oz cans tomato sauce (any kind and flavor)
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown ground beef and Italian sausage in large pot. Once browned, rinse with water to remove all grease. If excess grease in pot remove until only 2-3 tbsp. remain.
2. Sautee peppers and onion until slightly softened. Add in Garlic, heat until you can smell (30 seconds to 1 minute).
3. Next follow the directions on the back of the McCormick packet and add all to mixture. Add in 2 cans tomato sauce, sugar, herbs, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper. Return browned meat to sauce and simmer on low for at least 30 minutes before serving. Be sure to taste frequently and add in more salt and pepper as needed. If it tastes too bitter add some extra sugar. If too thick add in some water slowly.
4. Serve over spaghetti noodles. Can add meatballs if desired.
1. Ladle sauce into zip lock freezer bag. Let cool to room temp on counter. Lay flat in freezer until frozen solid. Good for up to 3 months.